Horse racing's main events take the bidding track, with this collection of 1977-1978 Triple Crown event souvenirs. Each Spring the best young thoroughbreds take a run at history in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes. In the long history of these prestigious events, just thirteen horses have claimed Triple Crown honors, by winning all three races in the same season. Two of these proud champions are represented here, with 1977 Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew; and 1978 Triple Crown winner Affirmed. Also in the running is Alydar, who famously battled Affirmed in all three 1978 races, finishing a close second each time.
(11) 1977 Preakness $2 Win tickets on the winner #8 Seattle Slew average (NM to NM-MT);
(5) 1978 Kentucky Derby $2 Win tickets with: #2 Affirmed winner (VG), #10 Alydar second place (EX-MT), #9 Believe It third place (EX-MT), #1 (EX-MT+), #11 (VG);
(6) 1978 Preakness $2 Win tickets with: #6 Affirmed winner (NM), #3 Alydar second place (NM), #2 Believe It third place (NM+), #1 (EX-MT), #7 (VG), #5 (EX+);
(7) 1978 Belmont Stakes $2 Win tickets with: (3) #3 Affirmed winner ((2) EX-MT, VG), #2 Alydar second place (NM), #1 Darby Creek Road third place (VG-EX), #4 (VG-EX), #5 (VG-EX); this group represents all five horses who competed in this race;
(3) 1978 Belmont Stakes $2 Place tickets with: #1 Darby Creek Road third placed (VG-EX), #4 (EX-MT), #5 (EX+);
1978 Preakness program (VG-EX) with written selection notations on interior pages only;
(3) 1978 Glasses from Affirmed's Triple Crown season average (NM to NM-MT) with: Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes.